According to the materials safety data sheet, the ingredients of Miracle-Gro are safe, but ingestion can cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. The company said it is working with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to address the issue.

Is Miracle-Gro potting soil poisonous?

The primary ingredients in synthetic fertilizers like Miracle-Gro are urea nitrogen and ammonium sulfate. When exposed to the air, these compounds create a toxic greenhouse gas that damages human lungs. Nitrogen can build up in the human body if we don’t eat enough food and drink enough water. Synthetic fertilizer is also a major contributor to global warming.

In fact, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that synthetic fertilizer use is responsible for more than one-third of the global increase in carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions since the industrial revolution began in 1750. EPA has estimated that the use of synthetic nitrogen fertilizer has contributed to an additional 1.5 billion metric tons of CO2 emissions over the past 50 years.

This is equivalent to adding the emissions from all the cars, trucks, buses, planes, trains, and ships on the planet every year for a full year.

Can potting soil be toxic to dogs?

The constituents of potting soil are dangerous to dogs and cause a variety of ailments when ingested. If the process of decomposition is not properly controlled, soil and other organics that are used to make potting soil may contain viruses and other types ofbacteria which can be harmful to pets. Potting soils should not be allowed to dry out, and should be kept in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.

If the soil is too dry, it can become a breeding ground for bacteria and fungi that can cause illness in pets. It is also important to keep soil in good condition, so that it does not become contaminated with mold, mildew, or other harmful organisms that may be present in soil that has not been properly cared for.

What to do if dog eats potting soil?

Toxic substances can cause pain and inflammation in your dog’s body. They might become weak and have difficulty walking. If you notice this symptom after a few days, you should get your dog to the vet. If you suspect your pet has ingested a toxic substance, call your veterinarian immediately. Your veterinarian will be able to determine the cause of the problem and prescribe the correct treatment.

How much fertilizer is toxic to dogs?

Depending on your dog’s size and type of fertilizer, the amount that will be toxic to your dog will vary. If you have 1lb of body weight, you should worry about your dog getting 500g offertilizer for every 1lb.

If you have a large dog, you may want to use a smaller dose. If you are concerned about a small dog or a dog that weighs less than 10lbs, it may be best to not use any fertilizer at all.

What’s in Miracle Grow potting soil?

Mixes contain a blend of sphagnum peat moss, aged bark fines, perlite, plant food, and a wetting agent. Coconut husks are included in the Miracle-Gro® Moisture Control® Potting Mix to help protect against over-watering.

What happens if you ingest Miracle Grow?

The urea in Miracle-Gro can cause irritation to the mouth, throat, and stomach. It can cause nausea and vomiting when swallowed. If you accidentally swallow the product, rinse your mouth out with water, according to the Manufacturer’s Safety Data Sheet for Miracle-Gro.

Rate this post
You May Also Like