Posted on Nov 30, 2023 at 8:00 pm by Emily Q
The pellet stove, also known as a wood pellet stove, is a highly sought-after heating system for its numerous advantages.
Indeed, it offers high efficiency and optimized combustion, while being environmentally friendly and economical. However, in order to properly assess the costs associated with this type of heating and choose the model that suits your needs, it is essential to know its daily electricity consumption.
Table of Contents
Factors that influence the electricity consumption of a pellet stove
The electricity consumption of a pellet stove mainly depends on three factors:
- The power of the stove: the higher the power, the higher the electricity consumption will be. The power of a stove usually ranges from 5 to 15 kW.
- The efficiency: high efficiency helps minimize electricity consumption. Pellet stoves generally have an efficiency ranging from 85% to 95%.
- The usage of the stove: electricity consumption also depends on how you use the stove. Intensive usage will result in higher consumption.
Estimation of the daily electricity consumption of a pellet stove
To estimate the daily electricity consumption of a pellet stove, you can rely on the data provided by manufacturers. The electricity consumption of pellet stoves is generally between 100 and 150 watts during normal operation and up to 400 watts during ignition. On average, it can be considered that a pellet stove consumes about 1 kWh per day, which corresponds to an annual consumption of 365 kWh.
Example calculation for an 8 kW stove with 90% efficiency:
If your stove has a power of 8 kW and an efficiency of 90%, you will need:
- Divide the power of the stove by the efficiency: 8 kW / 0.9 = 8.88 kW
- Multiply this result by the number of hours of daily usage (for example, if you use the stove for 6 hours per day): 8.88 kW x 6 h = 53.28 kWh
- Finally, divide this result by the number of days in a year (365) to obtain the daily electricity consumption: 53.28 kWh / 365 days = 0.146 kWh/day
How to reduce the electricity consumption of a pellet stove?
To minimize the electricity consumption of your pellet stove, here are some tips:
- Choose a model that suits your needs: opt for a stove whose power and efficiency match your heating area and lifestyle.
- Regularly maintain your stove: an annual maintenance by a professional as well as regular cleaning of ashes and the exhaust duct help optimize combustion and therefore reduce electricity consumption.
- Regulate the temperature: using an ambient thermostat allows you to regulate the temperature according to your needs, avoiding unnecessary overheating.
- Opt for a programmable pellet stove: some models have a programming system that allows you to better manage heating periods and therefore save energy.
Consideration: the cost of pellets
Although the electricity consumption of pellet stoves is relatively low, the cost of the pellets themselves should not be overlooked. Indeed, the price of wood pellets can vary depending on their quality, origin, and market fluctuations. Therefore, make sure to purchase certified pellets (NF or ENplus standard) to ensure good quality and consider comparing prices from different suppliers.