Posted on Dec 1, 2023 at 6:00 pm by James A
Using a dishwasher is an excellent way to save time and water.
But do you know how to optimize the washing of your cutlery? The placement of cutlery in the dishwasher has a direct impact on their cleanliness after the cycle. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your appliance.
Table of Contents
General rules for efficient cutlery storage
Before getting into the details, it is essential to know some general rules for proper cutlery storage:
- Separate spoons, forks, and knives from each other to prevent them from nesting and preventing proper cleaning.
- Avoid overloading the cutlery basket so that water can circulate freely between each utensil.
- Do not soak silver cutlery with stainless steel ones, as this can cause a chemical reaction that would damage the silver.
Knives: safety first
For knives, it is essential to place them in a way that they pose no danger. Therefore, place the blades facing down to avoid the risk of cuts when storing or removing the cutlery. Additionally, this position allows for better washing and rinsing of the knives.
Forks: alternate position for better efficiency
For forks, it is recommended to alternate their position in the cutlery basket. Place some with the tines facing up and others with the tines facing down. This trick will better separate the forks from each other and prevent them from sticking together. It will also facilitate the cleaning of hard-to-reach areas, such as the space between the tines.
Spoons: a mix of positions for optimal cleaning
Like forks, it is interesting to alternate the position of spoons in the cutlery basket. Place some with the handle up and others with the handle down. This prevents the spoons from nesting, which could prevent thorough cleaning.
Kitchen utensils: do not neglect their placement
Kitchen utensils such as spatulas, whisks, or other large tools should also be optimally placed in your dishwasher:
- Arrange them in the upper basket of the dishwasher, preferably spacing them enough to allow for good water circulation.
- Avoid placing too bulky or cumbersome utensils in the cutlery basket, as they could block the water circulation and hinder the effectiveness of the washing.
The proper dishwasher setting for impeccable results
Finally, do not forget that choosing the right washing program is equally important for perfectly clean cutlery. Choose a cycle that suits the level of dirt on your dishes and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations regarding the amount of detergent and type of rinse aid to use.
By following these tips, you should notice a significant improvement in the cleanliness of your cutlery after each washing cycle. Feel free to experiment with different methods to find the one that works best for your dishwasher and your habits. Happy dishwashing!